Thursday, November 12, 2009

Ska Is Dead (And so are you)

Last night was the Baltimore show of the Ska Is Dead 4 tour. Ska Is Dead started in (I want to say) 2003 by the band Mustard Plug and they've tried to keep it going every so often ever since. I went to Ska is Dead 3 back in 2005 at the Stone Pony and saw SGR, The Planet Smashers, Mustard Plug and The Toasters. Besides SGR, I never listened to the bands much before then, but they're all some of my favorites now.

Last night was at The Ottobar, my favorite Baltimore location to see shows. I mean, they have PBR on tap. First up was The International Jet Set, a local band who was pretty good. I'd seen them before, but never really paid much attention to them.

Second was Eastern Standard Time from DC. I was going to see them once before, but then Boundbrooke NJ flooded and the Hamilton Street Cafe was no more. I only knew one song, "It's Alright", and it was the one they closed with. Despite that, they were really, really good.

Third was Deal's Gone Bad, another band I knew a couple songs but had never seen. They were also great, and also closed with the only song I recognized, "Messin' Around".

Next was the Voodoo Glow Skulls, who were once again amazing. Finally was the Toasters, who after 28 years are still going strong. It was great, but I was pretty beat and left after about 9 songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment