Thursday, July 9, 2009

"Fluent In Stroll" and Christina Ponzio...two things that need to make less noise

This blog post is dedicated to Tina, who insisted that I updated for it has been over a week, even though I could look at that Yankee team all day and not get bored. Well she's getting her wish.

Today in the mail from Amazon, i received "Fluent In Stroll", the 5th full length album from my formerly favorite band, Big D & the Kids Table. As I said when I first heard some new songs (http://bgklein.blogspot.com/2009/05/new-big-d-songs.html) and when I said my most anticipated albums of the summer (http://bgklein.blogspot.com/2009/05/summer-albums.html), I did not have high hopes for this album. Boy was I right.

"Fluent In Stroll" sucks. No way around it. Its not good at all. While "Strictly Rude" had too many fast-paced ska songs, this has basically none. Some of the songs are better than i expected them to be, some are far worse. The most annoying part is the girls who sing during all the songs. Who are they? And why are they on this album? Its not being creative or new, its just bad.

Bottom line is this. I used to love Big D for their combination of ska and punk. They mixed the two perfectly. Even though I'm hard on "Strictly Rude", as an album and not live its a great cd, so much fun to listen to. I may be being too harsh on "Fluent In Stroll" after just one listen, but there is a reason why in the past year Big D has dropped to my second favorite band while Streetlight Manifesto continues to amaze me on album and live. Should be interesting to see them both at Warped Tour the 19th.


Back to Tina. Read her blog here: http://tponz.wordpress.com/ . I also link it on the side of my page with Romo's and Allen Sepinwall's (TV Critic for the Star Ledger).

1 comment:

  1. I discovered this blog by simply typing "fluent in stroll sucks" in Google just to see if there were any reviewers who shared my opinion. I'm glad that there is at least one. I agree with you about how Streetlight is only getting better and better and stays true to their roots while Big D seems to be trying to experiment with other things, but obviously, it isn't working for the fans such as us.

    I'll be subscribing to this blog now. I think that we're sharing some common thoughts here. Name's Derek. Nice to meet you :D.

    ReplyDelete