Friday, March 12, 2010

100 Favorite Songs: 100-91

Similar to Romo's list of his 100 favorite artists, I've decided to list my 100 favorite songs. However, rather than updating this every day for over 3 months, I've decided to do it in 10 short posts. First up are 100-91

100. "Say I Won't (Recognize)" by The Gaslight Anthem
"We're having a party, everybody's swingin'. Tonight won't you come down? Don't make me dance all night alone". This is a really fun song of TGA's "Senor and the Queen" EP. Not too much to say about this, just a fun song that is really, really good.

99. "Devil's Night Out" by The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
"Wouldn't know the Devil if he punched you in the face. Couldn't drink a 6-pack, never mind a case. Don't know how to skateboard, that's just a fucking crock. Most of all they got no balls and don't know how to rock". The first track off the Bosstones' first album back in late 80's does a great job to sum of their style of ska-core punk. Great ska parts, great punk parts, great hardcore parts

98. "Hit Me! Hit Me!" by Mustard Plug
" Take a break just to meet you at the pub for a pint. Toss it back, faster than I really should . Forgot to savor, all the flavor that I could". One of the singles off the long-awaited "In Black and White" album of 2007, Mustard Plug provides a fun, poppy ska song. Good drinking song

97. "Watch it Crash" by Streetlight Manifesto
"So mercy, mercy, mercy me. Pray for the death of a man I'll never meet". The first of many Streetlight entries on this list. At first I wasn't too crazy about this song, but wow did I realize just how good of a song it is. It's your typical Streetlight song, great mix of punk and ska with great lyrics and horn parts.

96/95. "1980/One Million Miles an Hour, Fast Asleep" by the Rx Bandits.
"I must have seen her face before, I fell in love when I was born. Now they hide it with a whisper, 'it's over'". These songs go on together because it is basically a 2-part song. They share similar instrumentals, lyrics, and lead into one another. Also they're played together live. As for the songs, wow are they good. "1980" is a great hard song, and calls back the intro to the album. "Million Miles an Hour..." provides the more ska-roots part with horns and a great mix of punk as well

94. "One Foot on the Gas, One Foot in the Grave" by Streetlight Manifesto"
"Everyone was laughing when we said we had it made". Yet another song already off Streetlight's "Somewhere in the Between" album, and another great one. Starts out slow and then pick up quickly. All 5 and a half minutes are just great. I always pictured this song being in a "Guitar Hero" type game, the guitar, bass, drums, and lyrics all are very distinct. Also the horns don't overpower the song too much...just a thought.

93. "RocketRocketRocketship" by the Arrogant Sons of Bitches
"And maybe we can fly away from here. Surf on the debris of our broken scene. Sub-suburban wasteland. Pack up everything and get out of here. Everything I fight for is dead to me. Sub-suburban wasteland". This is the first entry from Jeff Rosenstock, who comes in quite frequently with ASOB and Bomb the Music Industry! as well. Not too much to say about this song, it's just really good.

92. "The Auld Triangle" by the Dropkick Murphys
"Oh the day was dying and the wind was sighing, as I lay there crying in my prison cell". I've always loved DKM's punk covers of traditional Irish songs, and this one is no exception. It's short, fast, and great use of the pipes over their punk.

91. "The Backseat" by The Gaslight Anthem
"Come July we'll ride the Ferris wheel, goes round, and round, and round". The first song from The Gaslight Anthem on this list is the closing track to "The '59 Sound", and a great way to close out the album it is. Maybe I think this cause I've seen them close shows with it before, but who knows. What I do know is this is a great song all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment