Tuesday, March 16, 2010

100 Favorite Songs: 70-61

70: "Decrescendo" by the Rx Bandits
"Have you ever felt so truly alone? So freezing cold?". This might be one of the Rx Bandit's hardest songs, and also one of their more punk songs. Still, they do a great job of playing their horns behind all that in a song that I can't really describe how good it is musically. Just one of Rx's finest

69 (lol!): "I'm Terrorfied!!!" by Bomb the Music Industry!
"In September, I watched gas prices drop a quarter, the day after the 10th. Swear no safer and the fears we all remembered, but to honor them it's cheaper to drive to bomb shelter". I took a while to decide which lyrics I wanted to use here. The whole song has really good lyrics that I even used in a class once for a poetry assignment. This song doesn't appear on any of BTMI!'s main albums, but rather it shows up on a split with the O! Pioneers!. For a song written by someone who lives in New York, the lyrics come off as very powerful, and really hit me with emotion.

68: "Drinkin'" by Reel Big Fish
"I guess I feel so bad, ain't go much reason to feel so sad. Except I'm poor, untalented, and ugly". While the title might suggest a happy song this time, not so much when you hear the lyrics. It's still a very fun song despite being about alcohol making things alright. I mean I can't really ague that claim, so I have no choice to but to enjoy it.

67: "Staying True"
"I've got your back, and you've got mine, no one's alone or gets left behind". This WWB song is pretty slow and quiet for the most part. The first 2/3 of the song are only played out by an acoustic guitar and piano, but then the punk picks up and the song closes out with some nice, hard chords. The message of the song is also very sweet, a good tribute to the other members of the band who are always there for Aaron, the lead singer.

66: "Little Julie Swastiska" by the Hub City Stompers
"My mind has been made up my little Julie. I've never had an Aryan, you've never had a moolie. Don't go through life in denial of this fact: That once you go black, you never go, never go back". A nice segway from an all black band in WWB, to a song about a white supremacist girl who falls in love with a black guy (HCS's singer is half black). This is another song with a lot of good lyrics to share, which really make the song really enjoyable. Also adding to the song are the sax parts, which throughout "Blood, Sweat, and Beers" are smooth and calming (in contrast to "Dirty Jersey" where they're much harder).

65: "Oolooloo" by The Pietasters
"Oolooloo, oolooloo". As the lyrics I chose clearly show, this song isn't one of my favorites for the lyrics. What really makes this song is how calming the chorus is, especially the with horns as well. I imagine if i smoked pot I'd like this song a lot when I'm high, but I don't and I like it sober so that's what makes it one of my favorites

64: "Royal Fuck Delux" by the Arrogant Sons of Bitches!
"Months thrown away, you pissed on my trust and that is the way that'll always see you and me. And as it stands now that's the way it always will be. So we're done, and in the end it wasn't all that fun. You were the one, who ended up not being the one". This ASOB song probably puts my first break up into perfect words. Unfortunately, I didn't really discover it until about 2 years after said break up. Still, it makes me feel good when I listen to it, and will probably in the future give me some courage to end things before it's too late. As I listen to it now I once again want to post more of the lyrics because they always put me in such a good mood with confidence.

63: "Party at Ground Zero" by Fishbone
"Party at ground zero, a B-movie staring you, and the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew". Disclaimer: this song is from the 80's, and has no affiliation with 9/11. However, that doesn't stop Fishbone from making the connection when they play it live. By one second, this is the longest track on this list at 6 and a half minutes exactly. It starts out with a slow instrumental intro for a little over a minute, and then picks up quickly into a very fast ska song. Great horns, great guitar beats, not the most amazing lyrics, but still all come together very perfectly.

62: "Freak Show" by The Pietasters
"Drunk faces on the subway cars who're riding in their own piss". One of the Piestasters best songs, probably why they still play it live 15 years after the album was released. Catchy horns, fast guitar beats, good lyrics. Just an all around great song.

61: "Blind" by The Planet Smashers
"On and on and on again, underrated. How could I be so blind?". What I always liked about the Planet Smashers is how all their songs are consistent with their ska beat, while most third-wave bands have a more punk sound to it. This song keeps it going the whole time, with catchy, but not over-powering horns, and enjoyable lyrics.

Up next: A song I already wrote a tribute to, song about adultery, divorce, unemployment, and the Clash.

No comments:

Post a Comment