Saturday, March 6, 2010

2010 Oscar Predictions

Tomorrow are the Oscars, I figure since I'll be guessing anyway might as well put down my predictions for the major categories here. This is based on my opinion/what I've heard from the media, but it's all just speculation. * are for the movies I have seen.

Actor in a Leading Role
Jeff Bridges: Crazy Heart
George Clooney: Up in the Air*
Colin Firth: A Single Man
Morgan Freeman: Invictus
Jeremy Renner: The Hurt Locker*

Prediction: Jeff Bridges. While I very much liked both Clooney and Renner's performances, neither really blew me away. From what I've heard Bridges has a very good shot

Actor in a Supporting Role
Matt Damon: Invictus
Woody Harrelson: The Messenger
Christopher Plummer: The Last Station
Stanley Tucci: The Lovely Bones
Christopher Waltz: Inglorious Bastards*

Prediction: Christopher Waltz. While his is the only performance I saw, I thought he did a great job there. I think he has an excellent shot

Actress in a Leading Role
Sandra Bullock: The Blind Side*
Helen Mirren: The Last Situation
Carey Mulligan: An Education
Gabourey Sidibe: Precious
Meryl Streep: Julie and Julia

Prediction: Gabourey Sidibe. I have no idea on this one. Sandra Bullock was good, but not amazing. This was a complete guess

Actress in a Supporting Role
Penelope Cruz: Nine
Vera Farminga: Up in the Air*
Maggie Gyllenhaal: Crazy Heart
Anna Kendrick: Up in the Air*
Mo'Nique: Precious

Prediction: Maggie Gyllenhaal. The two from Up in the Air might cancel each other out and Penelope Cruz won the same category last year.

Animated Feature Film
Coraline
Fantastic Mr. Fox*
The Princess and the Frog*
The Secret of Kells
Up*

Prediction: Up. This is the first time Pixar has real competition, especially with another Disney movie that was so well animated. However, Up is nominated for Best Picture as well, so shouldn't it win based on that alone? Aside from that, it was one of my favorite movies of the year, one of Pixar's best

Best Director
James Cameron: Avatar
Kathryn Bigelow: The Hurt Locker*
Quentin Tarantino: Inglorious Bastards*
Lee Daniels: Precious
Jason Reitman: Up in the Air*

Prediction: Quentin Tarantino. Very similar to Wes Anderson, Tarantino just has this style of direction that is automatically associated with him and his movies. Bastards was very good, but I liked Up in the Air more. Still, the little things that go on in Bastards is why Tarantino will win in my opinion.

Best Adapted Screenplay
District 9
An Education
In the Loop
Precious
Up in the Air*

Prediction: Precious. This is a tough category to win because the name of it alone makes it compared to what it's adapted from. From what I've heard of Precious, it has a very good shot

Best Original Screenplay
The Hurt Locker*
Inglorious Bastards*
The Messenger
A Serious Man
Up*

Prediction: The Hurt Locker. While the dialogue wasn't the strong suit of this movie, the suspense was. That wasn't accidental, it was written that way. I loved the stories in both Bastards and Up, so either of those would have my votes as well

Best Picture
Avatar
The Blind Side*
District 9
An Education
The Hurt Locker*
Inglorious Bastards*
Precious
A Serious Man
Up*
Up in the Air*

Prediction: The Hurt Locker. Like Platoon, a great war film goes a long way here. I'm not a fan of the 10 nominations, but now I can at least brag that I've seen more of them this year. Hurt Locker was the best movie I saw last year, so that is why I am predicting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment