Sunday, March 14, 2010

100 Favorite Songs: 90-81

Well let's just continue this....

90: "Sorry. We Steal" by the Arrogant Sons of Bitches
"Connecticut, not really where I want to go but it's as far as I can drive in 12 inches of snow". This is the first track off the ASOB discovery album, and while the song isn't anything to special (at least for ASOB) it is really good. It's slower than their usual stuff, and a lot more calm. Still, I just really like it and think it's a nice song that contrasts with all their other stuff.

89: "Injection" by Rise Against
"So give me the drug, keep me alive. Give me what's left of my life". This is a great song with a nice message with it too. It does a great job to showcase RA's talents with playing hard punk with a mix of hardcore screams.

88: "Old Man Sampson" by Whole Wheat Bread
"So drink, drink, drink, empty your cup. Are we sober yet? NEVER! We love to get drunk, Hey!". This is the first song with a story behind it! And back to back songs with positive, anti-drug related messages? Woah. Story first: this was the first song I ever heard by Whole Wheat Bread. I looked them up cause they were playing at the first show I was ever going to (May 05, with Big D and the Superspecs at Bloomfield Ave Cafe). From this, I thought they were going to be like a folk-punk band, as this song has the sound to it. However, they're a great punk/hip hop band, and oh how I love black people. Great band, great song, great drinking song despite it bringing up the negatives of it. Oh well.

87: "RSTLNE" by the Arrogant Sons of Bitches
"All I ever wanted was to do something right. But now that chance is gone, I'll feel like I've done wrong, I fucked things up for everyone". This is a more ASOB sounding song. Great mix of punk and ska, great horns, great fast paced lyrics. All around awesome.

86: "Broken English" by Rise Against"
"Our Buildings have fallen, our walls all caved in. And we can't comprehend this sad state we're in". Good amount of Rise Against and ASOB in this group of 10. I really like this song because it's a very positive political punk song. Alliteration aside, it once again does a great job to feature all the RA does well both instrumentally and vocally. I didn't think punk songs could have such a good message as they're usually negative and whiny, but this does a great job to say how as a nation we're together no matter what.

85: "Walking Away" by Catch 22
"Here's to me, to you, to us". While the Catch 22 "Keasbey Nights" is classic and great, Streetlight just does a much better job on the re-recording. However, this is the one track I like better in the original version. The Streetlight version just seems slower, and this track just stands out better with less-clear vocals. Oh, and it's a great song. Jazzy start, horn solos, all around fun song.

84: "Bastards on Parade" by Dropkick Murphys
"So come on all you losers, you bastards and cheats. Vagrants and barflies down on the streets. Follow this path to salvation vindication awaits, we're marching on these Broadway streets tonight". Once again, I don't have too much to say about this one. But I love the way it picks up towards the end and becomes a much harder, Celtic-punk song.

83: "Safe European Home" by The Clash
"They got the sun, they got the palm trees. They got the weed, they got the taxis". One of the newest additions to the list as I got this album for Christmas. I love this song because it is just a hard, fast paced punk song. It puts me in a good mood, and gets me pumped up, which is really what punk should be doing anyway.

82: "Centerfold" by Against All Authority
"My blood runs cold, my memory has just been sold. My angel is a centerfold". The first real cover on this (not counting the DKM ones). Ska-punk version of a pop song? I think so. The trumpet playing the "nah nah nah nah parts"? I think so. Just a fun version of a pretty crappy pop song.

81: "Dreaming of You" by The Coral
"Up in my lonely room, when I'm dreaming of you. Oh, what can I do? I still need you, but I don't want you now". I first heard this song on the Scrubs episode, "My Monster". It's when JD and Elliot are hooking up for the second time. It drew my attention because it's a ska song, complete with sax and all. I look them up, they are not a ska band. But this one song is, and it is a damn good song. Very catchy, and worked really well in the episode.


Coming up next post: Music from the horribly awesome "Underground Comedy Movie", songs about your life sucking, and songs about date rape NOT by Sublime!

No comments:

Post a Comment