Friday, March 19, 2010

100 Favorite Songs: 60-51

60: "Analog Boy" by the Rx Bandits
"I couldn't believe my eyes when i woke up this morning. I looked at the sidewalk and there was a million people dressed the same who answered their cell phones at the same time and all popped a pill for the same disorder. Can't be fat, no we can't have that we're so far gone". The first real "single" by the Rx Bandits in that it was their first song that had a music video (and a very, very good one at that). Lyrically, this is just a really special song (as are all the good Rx songs, so maybe this was redundant). Favorite story with this song: singing along with it in between bands at a show once when i was playing, my friends from Maryland all start making fun of me for saying "analog boi" with my wonderful Jersey accent.

59: "Toxic Toast" by the Mighty Mighty Bosstones
"Avoid the land lord, spend the rent, raising hell with reckless style". This MMB song I was never a big fan of until I heard it live. Then I gave it another listen, and now I love it. I think it's the mix of piano, horns, and punk that get me with it. Also, this is the name of the MMB tribute band.

58: "Stuff That I Like" by Bomb the Music Industry!
"When I go out these days all I do is complain about the booming bass and the shitty DJ". I already wrote about this song actually and how much I love it, so just read about it here.



57: "Married Girl" by The Slackers

"We lasted for about three weeks and now we don't even speak". A song about adultery? Oh well, there are worse topics addressed by these songs. Granted this adultery is about killing the girls husband to be with her, but it's a good song so who cares. This is one of those songs that just sound better live, but that helps its ranking on here. Live, the ska parts just sound faster, making it more fun to listen to.



56: "Drive" by The Gaslight Anthem

"And the only thing we know is it's getting dark and we better go". Some good old, fun, punk rock on this song. From TGA's first album, this song is a nice hard punk song, which I was so happy that they played live last time I saw them. This is a very accessible song, don't really need to love punk or TGA to enjoy this song in my mind.



55: "Ma and Pa" by Fishbone

"It's not just a fight for child custody, cause ma and pa's revenge is making little sister bleed". Now divorce...Jesus I like happy music. In all fairness, this song is very upbeat and fast paced, which is partly why I like it so much. This is the newest addition to this list, and I like it so much it wasted no time moving up to 55. Really just a great Fishbone song, fast and fun-kay.



54: "Disappointment at the Taco Bell" by the Arrogant Sons of Bitches! featuring Dave McWane of Big D & the Kids Table

"This, my life. And this is all I know. I've got no life, I've got time, I've got no where to go". Yet another happy song about a career going absolutely nowhere. But once again it's masked by the upbeat pace and fun horns of this song. Dave is great on the guest vocals, almost rapping his parts.



53: "Drones" by Rise Against

"The drones all slave away, they're working overtime. They serve the faceless queen and never question why". I know I keep saying with each RA song that what I like is how Tim can mix hard punk vocals with hardcore screams, but that is really what makes them so great to begin with. So when this song does that very well like all the previous ones, I'm once again going to point out that that is why I love it so much. This song pumps me up every time, and was a great song for them to open with when I saw them last.



52: "I'da Call You Woody, Joe" by The Gaslight Anthem

"And then I heard it like a shot from my skull to my brain. I felt my fingertips tingle and it started to rain". This song is about the first time the lead singer heard The Clash. And if you know what a powerful band The Clash is, that lyric sums that first experience up perfectly. I know I had heard The Clash a lot prior to me getting into them, but the first time I listened to "London Calling" (rented from my town library), this is the same feeling I got. Also, music video filmed on Asbury Park Boardwalk, so points there.



51: Dirty Reggae" by The Aggrolites
"What you feel? Dirty Reggae!" Clearly this song isn't loved by me for its lyrics, cause there aren't really any. But the title sums it up, fast, un-traditional reggae. For one of my favorite bands, especially live, Aggro isn't too represented on this list. But this song is something special, just a cut above the rest. Still, the rest is AMAZING and I cannot recommend this band enough.

Coming up next: Beer! Nothing too clever to say about the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment