Monday, March 15, 2010

100 Favorite Songs: 80-71

80: "Blonde Lead the Blind" by Streetlight Manifesto
"Oh! Friend! You look too deep at the cover of the magazine. But the words inside they come across deprived and they force feed shit, but you still subscribe". Another entry by Streetlight off of "Somewhere In the Between". This song might have the best instrumentals on the album, with the vocals stopping with 1:52 left on the song (and taking 31 seconds to even start). The end really showcases the Streetlight horn section and all that they can do.

79: "Road Rash" by the Mad Caddies
"I've walked this earth for 20 years and now my mind is floating out to sea". This is the first track off of the second major release by The Caddies, "Duck and Cover". The album overall isn't too amazing, but the songs I like, I really like. This track is my favorite, and the music video has a lot to do with that (I always like when in the videos they show the horn players in action). The song is a fun, fast ska song that always puts me in a good mood. Also, it is featured in the HORRIBLY AWESOME "Underground Comedy Movie" (written, directed, and staring Vince, the Sham Wow! guy). Just check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCax8a2AV44

78: "Axes" by The Slackers
"People say that you're such a saint. But you and I, we know that you ain't. Well heaven knows that the Devil's alive, with your smile and your soft demeanor". I first heard this track on the "Ska: Still Standing" compilation. The album version is a bit different, and includes the verse with the line quoted above. It's a nice, relaxing song and nice and catchy.

77: "Failing, Flailing" by Streetlight Manifesto
"Well you say your life's a bore, and i can't quite disagree, if you judge your life by the pieces of shit that inhabit your T.V. Because they stand so proud, and they talk so loud and every other word is a lie I've found that everyone who is anyone is a waste of time". Another song that really captures Streetlight's horn section. The vocals don't start until 1:02, so in the beginning there is a lot of time to show the brass off. I really like this song live, even when Tomas pauses after the opening lyrics every time, it still manages to throw me off.

76: "(Shut) Up the Punx!!!" by Bomb the Music Industry!
"This non-conformity is a conformity. Why should anybody believe in a community? This organization doesn't feel like anarchy". On a song that has very little BTMI! style ska, this song captures some of their best features of that style. Horns in the whole song, fun message commenting on the bull shit that comes from a lot of punk bands, really everything to enjoy in a BTMI! song.

75: "Two Angry Kids" by the Street Dogs
"I know that we've never seen eye to eye, and I know we've had our falling outs". I once saw somewhere that this was about the singers friendship with one of the guys in the Dropkick Murphys. Could be true, but who cares, it's a great punk song. Also reminds me of Frank whenever they mention Quincy.

74: "25!" by Bomb the Music Industry!
"Cause I'm 25, but I still like to think I'm 10 years old". "Scrambles" is an album with a lot of songs about life being crappy. I like this one, especially where it is placed on the track list. All of a sudden, the piano picks up and it starts with him walking through NYC to a job interview (I think), but even that walk is pretty crappy. Maybe you realize that you can't act like you're 10 anymore, maybe you realize that's what you're doing and only want to continue. Lyrically, this is one of my favorite BTMI! songs by far.

73: "Here's Looking at You, Kid" by The Gaslight Anthem
"Well I used to wait at the diner a million nights without her, praying she won't cancel again tonight". On an album with a lot of good, fast, hard rock songs, this is such a sweet slow, quiet one towards the end, leading perfectly into "The Backseats". It is such a sweet song with calming instrumentals and vocals that'll make you think a bit about your past relationships. Also, when played live this song gives me a chance to relax during what are normally crowded, intense shows.

72: "Johnny Date Rape" by the Hub City Stompers
"When I woke up next morning, I came to understand. I saw you passed out bedside, pork-dagger in your hands". If "Date Rape" by Sublime is a dirty song, this one is filthy. Much more graphic. And sung by a chick, so it makes it ok that she says the things she does. A great, true ska song by HCS, and also provides a good beat (poor word choice) to use while running at the gym.

71: "Radio Waves" by Against All Authority
"No one hears the sounds we've made, we're still chasing radio waves". One of the more ska-heavy songs on AAA's last album, "The Restoration of Chaos and Order". The trumpet throughout is great, the punk parts are great, especially the last verse. A nice song about no matter what, AAA is (or was?) going to play their style of punk-ska, and even though that'd never get them famous, it's what they wanted to do.

Next up: songs about terrorism!, drinking!, race!, break ups!, freak shows!, and partying at ground zero!

No comments:

Post a Comment