Saturday, August 8, 2009

Take Me Out to the Ball Game

Thursday I went to an amazing Yankee Game. Yankees 13, Red Socks 6. I mean the score alone is all you need to know about why it was a great game. Broke the Socks winning streak vs the Yanks this year, established a steady first place in the east, and also established the end of John Smoltz's career. AND THEN....The Yankees would win Friday's game 2-0 in 15 innings and then Saturday 5-0. Their lead in the division is now 5.5 games! And I couldn't be happier with how the team is playing.

But that wasn't all in the baseball-related world this weekend. For the third time in four years (2006, 2007, 2009), my softball team, Roosevelt & Cross, were victorious in the championship. We won game one (without me) Thursday, something like 13-4. Then last night we won the second and final game, 12-3. I ended the season batting .471, with I believe 8 RBI in 12 games (stats including the playoffs). We overall were 11-3 on the season, easily winning the B Division. It should be noted that the 3 losses were during the regular season: one to who we would beat in the first round of the playoffs, and the other 2 to the team would beat twice in the finals. Great job to everyone on the team, can't wait til next season.

I decided to end with some interesting facts about the 17 Major League Baseball games I've seen in person. Thanks to http://www.baseball-reference.com/, my weird memory, and seasonal unemployment, I was able to look up all the box scores and find out some things worth sharing about the games. Enjoy.

Team Records;
  • Yankees: 8-5
  • Orioles: 5-6
  • Rays: 0-2
  • Red Socks: 2-1
  • Twins: 0-1
  • Mariners: 1-0
  • Rangers: 1-1
  • Blue Jays: 0-1

Notable pitchers I've seen;

  • Andy Pettitte
  • John Smoltz
  • CC Sabathia (twice)
  • El Douque (twice)
  • Mariano Rivera (twice)
  • Tim Wakefield
  • Mike Mussina
  • Carl Pavano as a Yankee lose in 2005
  • Scott Kazmir
  • Doc Gooden

Notable home runs I've seen;

  • 500 Home Run Club Members: Ken Griffey Jr., Sammy Sosa, Gary Sheffield, Alex Rodriguez
  • Bernie Williams hit 2 in one game
  • Jorge Posada has homered in 5 different games I've been to. Brian Roberts, Melky Cabrerra and Bernie Williams have 2 each.
  • Notable steroid users: Sammy Sosa, Gary Sheffield, Alex Rodriguez, David Oritz, Brian Roberts, Miguel Tejada, and Javy Lopez

Notable games I've been to;

  • 5/16/98 (Yankees 5, Twins 2). Ramerio Mendoza throws 5 no-hit innings on Yankee Sock Day. The next day David Wells would throw 9 perfect innings on Beanie Baby day. This is one of the few times I'll be quoted saying Fuck My Life
  • 4/6/09 (Yanks 5, Orioles 10) Opening Day at Camden Yard in Father Linnane's personal seats
  • 5/8/09 (Yanks 4, Orioles 0) CC Sabathia throws a complete game, 4 hit, one walk, shut out and Alex Rodriguez homers in his first at bat of the season after being hurt. Yanks go on a roll from then on in.
  • 5/8/99 (Mariners 14, Yanks 5) Who cares??? I saw Ken Griffey Jr. hit a home run

No comments:

Post a Comment