Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Top 21 Albums, #1

Now, time for my favorite album of all time. Like I said earlier, this whole post will be devoted to this particular album.
1. "How It Goes" by Big D & the Kids Table (2004). "How It Goes" has basically been my favorite album since I got it for Christmas in 2004. I got it right as I was starting to really get into punk and ska, and this album is an amazing combination of the two. In anticipation of writing this, I listed to the CD again and still am amazed by it. I could write a full post about all 20 songs probably, they're all that good.

To me, this album is Big D at their best. It combines hard punk with horns and a decent amount of ska, but the punk and horns are what really jump out about it. I think that this is what Big D is as a band: a punk/ska band with horns. "Shot By Lammi" and "Good Luck" are both excellent albums, but you can tell that they came very early in the band's career. "How It Goes" is their first album at maturity. Since it, "Strictly Rude" has had too much generic ska, and "Fluent In Stroll" sucks.

The tracks are packed with hard punk, loud yet melodic horns, and fun lyrics. "How It Goes" features Big D's two most popular songs, "L.A.X." and a cover of The Special's "Little Bitch". Both these songs are played at almost every live Big D show (but they've been playing "L.A.X." less and less these days). It also features my favorite song of all time, "If We Want To". From the instrumental "Sounds of Allston Village" to the end of "A Moment Without an End", all 20 tracks are just amazing. I can honestly say I'm not the biggest fan of "Voice Alone", but even that is a great song.

Yes there are more songs on "Somewhere In the Between" (# 4) that I exceptionally like, but this album has such meaning to me. I got it when I was first getting into the style of music. I have a poster featuring the album cover in my room. "How It Goes" has always been the banner on my cell phone (Cause that's just How It Goes). It has been the first CD in my car's player since I've been driving it. When the band was tour with this album is when I liked them most live. I can't say enough good things about "How It Goes".
In addition to the 20 songs, the album comes with even more great things. To go along with all of the songs are illustrations by Dan Dobi. Also, the booklet comes with band members' thoughts on all the songs in addition to the lyrics, something I wish more bands did...or at least wish Big D still did
Favorite Song: "If We Want To"

No comments:

Post a Comment