Saturday, August 22, 2009

Top 21 Albums, 21-17

So in Romo fashion of doing a top 20 countdown, I've decided to do a countdown/review of my 21 favorite albums. Why 21? Two reasons. 1) This way I can devote a full post to #1 as opposed to something small, and 2) I couldn't make the cut on the last 2 albums, so I left it at 21. There wasn't much criteria for these, just i looked them all over and decided which ones I truly love listening to, which ones are in my car, which ones don't get old, which have the most songs I like, and possible sentimental value.



21: "Anthem" by Less Than Jake (2003). "Anthem" has gone through some drastic changes in terms of how i felt about it over time. When I first got it, it was my first Less Than Jake album and I LOVED it. As I got into older LTJ, and their newer stuff was getting bad, I started to look at this as just some pop-punk album that wasn't that good. Then I realized that it is just a pop-punk album, and a really, really good one. Sure they stopped playing ska for the most part, but if you look at this as a pop-punk album with horns its on its own level of ability. The songs are fast, catchy, really fun live.

Favorite song: "Plastic Cup Politics"


20: "No Self Control" by the Planet Smashers (2001). You know those albums that when you listen to them again they remind you of where you were when you first got it and listened? Well "No Self Control" reminds me of spring break 08 in Florida, just sitting on the deck and listening. I still love listening to this one from stat to finish, even though its not really anything special, I just love to listen to it.

Favorite song: "Blind"




19: "More Noise and Other Disturbances" by The Mighty Mighty Bosstones (1991). The second album from the Bosstones, every track on this I love. The songs live up to the title, within the first 3 tracks are the lines "I like noise that's why I'm living where I am" and "WHHHAAAAAAA????? WHAT ARE THESE NOISES??????". They really demonstrate how mixing two very different genres (at least in 91), ska and hardcore, can come off so well. This album got them on the soundtrack and into the movie "Clueless", where they preform the second track, "Where'd You Go?". Even seeing them live 18 years later, these songs still come off great.

Favorite Track: "Doctor D"



18: "GNV FLA" by Less Than Jake (2008). The most recent release by Less Than Jake, and their return to their "older" sound. The first 30 seconds of reggae on the first track, "The City of Gainseville" made me right away declare it was better than 2006's "In With the Out Crowd". They use their horns more, they play ska more, they play more hard punk and have a less poppy sound while still being catchy. It is really just a perfect blend of their pop-punk of "Anthem" with their harder punk-ska from the 90's, all into one great return to glory album. Less Than Jake acknowledges that their previous album, "In With the Out Crowd", wasn't exactly a fan favorite despite being something they were proud of, but they also have said that this is something both they and their fans love.

Favorite song: "Devil in My DNA"


17: "Minority Rules" by Whole Wheat Bread (2005). Debut album from Florida punk/hip-hop trio, Whole Wheat Bread does not disappoint. From a great punk track "Broke" to the three untitled rap songs at the end, this album has no dull songs. Since this their songs have, in my mind, gotten better, but this album as a whole just has a special place to me. I saw them at one of my first live shows and despite being the only non-ska band there, they blew me away. Three black guys from Florida who play punk? I thought it was the greatest thing ever then. Now I appreciate them for their music, for their ability to play multiple genres, and for their ability to Soulja Boy on stage. Like they say in the first song, "It aint because [they're] black", its for their music.

Favorite Song: "Broke"

No comments:

Post a Comment