Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Embrace the deception, learn how to bend, Your worst inhibitions......


......gonna Psych! you out in the end (This post is long overdue). Yes, Psych! started its fourth season on Friday, and I would be out of my mind if I wasn't going to share my thoughts about both the episode and the series in general.

Since I started watching in 2007 (show started in 2006), Psych has shot its way into my heart and become my third favorite TV show of all time (Behind "Arrested Development" and "Scrubs" and slightly ahead of "The Office" and "Futurama"). No matter what, the show is just fun to watch. I kind of want to list all the running jokes I love about the show, but there are way too many running through my head.

If you've never seen the show, I'll catch you up. Shawn Spencer was raised by his cop father to be ultra-perceptive and, with the help of his best friend Gus, has convinced the cops that he is a psychic to help the solve crimes. If you need a better explanation, I'll just quote the season premier from Friday

Shawn: You've seen the Mentalist, right?
Cop: Yes.
Shawn: It's like that.
Gus: Except that guy's a fake.
Shawn: Right, if I was a fake psychic it would be eerily similar.
Gus: Exactly.
Shawn: A virtual carbon copy



If you want to get into the show, these are the episodes I recommend:

  • Pilot (Season 1)

  • 9 lives (S 1)

  • Weekend Warriors (S 1)

  • Shawn vs. The Red Phantom (S 1)

  • From the Earth to the Starbucks (S 1)

  • Scary Sherry: Bianca's Toast (S 1)

  • 65 Million Years Off (S 2)

  • Psy vs Psy (S 2)

  • Gus' Dad May Have Killed an Old Man (S 2)

  • Dislodged (S 2)

  • Shawn (and Gus) of the Dead (S 2)

  • Murder?...Anyone?...Anyone?....Bueller? (S 3)

  • Gus Walks Into a Bank (S 3)

  • Six Feet Under the Sea (S 3)

  • Tuesday the 17th (S 3)

  • An Evening with Mr. Yang (S 3)

Now for Friday night's season premier, "Extradition: British Columbia". The episode was worth the wait, but not one of the greatest I've ever seen. The best part was mentioned above, in "The Mentalist" reference ("Psych" started in 2006, "The Mentalist" in 2008), except the rest of episode was still enjoyable. I wasn't crazy that you knew who the thief was the whole time, despite there being more of a story to it. That worked well in "An Evening with Mr. Yang", but that was also a very intense episode. The one thing very much missing from this episode was without question, Rachel Leigh Cook, who looks oh, so good while on the show. Seems like she'll be back soon, so that is something to look forward to.


I'll end with my favorite quote from season 3

Lassiter: A dead body changes things
Shawn: That's his email signature

(Also, check out Andrew's "Blasting Off With the Jets" at http://blastingoffnyj.blogspot.com/ . I also added him to the blogs I like at the top right)

2 comments:

  1. interesting interesting. i have never even heard of that show before you meantioned it

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha do you like the get up kids or is that another "emo" band that you hate (aka ataris, new found glory, etc). and im guessing im borrowing psych dvds? haha id rather watch the office i think- id like to catch up with that. ive only seen like all of 2 episodes HA

    ReplyDelete