Sunday, July 4, 2010

#50: I Voted For Kodos

I'm not old school but I still wear my Chucks

1/3 into the countdown we get to I Voted For Kodos, who I got into an online dispute with. Oh, and I'm going to start to take parts from Wikipedia to make them better for this

Wiki Says
: I Voted for Kodos (often abbreviated IV4K) was a ska punk and pop punk band, signed to Snapdragon Records.

Their name comes from an episode of The Simpsons, "Treehouse of Horror VII", in which Homer Simpson says, "Don't blame me—I voted for Kodos." Although known for their tongue-in-cheek material (they have noted that celery is the band's official vegetable), their song lyrics have also tackled serious issues such as murder and teenage depression. Their first album, Close Enough for Ska, is considered the success story of a small independent record label, Close to Nothing, which was founded by three teenagers

Discovery:
Close Enough For Ska (2001)
Not Penis Cream EP (2003)
My New Obsession (2006)

Other Releases:
My Other Girlfriend Says I Have To Leave You

Favorite songs:
10. Calc Lecture Girl
9. On The Phone
8. Gunpoint
7. Where Are We Going To?
6. You Never Asked Me To
4. Just Want You To Know
3. My Other Girlfriend Says I Have To Leave You
2. She Hates Ska
1. Todd

Years Active:
1999-2007

Seen Live:
Twice. May 2005 and January 2006 in Montclair, NJ

I Voted For Kodos and I had a oddly personal relationship. I met my first girlfriend at one of their shows. I loved them, they were going strong. Then, something weird happened. They started writing new music, that was very different from their older sound. They stopped using horns, and on their Myspace they listen themselves as "Pop/Rock/Powerpop", no mention of ska. Then they were on the ballot to be voted to play at the International Ska Festival or something like that. I said to them via Myspace that I would vote for them if it was the International Pop/Rock/Powerpop festival but since they were afraid to be ska I couldn't.

Well, they actually replied. First to the message saying they took ska off as to "not scare away record labels". I then said they were doing the exact same thing that a Jersey band (coming up soon), The Superspecs (then renamed The Specs) by dropping horns and playing generic rock. This is how they replied, retrieved via my Myspace comments.

Dec 9, 2005 8:01 PM
We are not like the Super Specs (not that that would be a bad thing, because the specs rock). We still play ska, we also play some rock, and there's a ton of horns to go along with both. That's just the way it's going to be. Can you still love us?

Well, that was the end of them more or less. They stopped playing in late 06 and had a farewell show in 2007. They even said on their Myspace that they wish they could have done a farewell show in Montclair at Bloomfield Ave Cafe due to how much they were loved there. The shell of the band I loved, I miss.

Up Next: A band that only lasted for 2 albums, but more or less are back now

No comments:

Post a Comment