Wednesday, June 30, 2010

#53: Catch 22

Here's to you, to me, to us

You hate me so much then stop singing my songs -Streetlight Manifesto

Next up are New Jersey's own Summer of Ska sensation, Catch 22. I lied, they have three original members, but have gone through several different lead singers.

Wiki Says:
Catch 22 is an American ska punk[1] band from East Brunswick, New Jersey. The band was formed by guitarist/vocalist/songwriter Tomas Kalnoky and drummer Chris Greer who recruited trumpeter Kevin Gunther, who was working in a local record store. Bassist Josh Ansley, saxophonist Ryan Eldred, and trombonist Jamie Egan, who was also Kevin Gunther's first music teacher, rounded out the original lineup.

Discovery:
Keasbey Nights (1998)
Alone In a Crowd (2000)
Washed Up and Through the Ringer! (2001)
Dinosaur Sounds (2003)
Permanent Revolution (2006)

Notable other contributions:
Rules of the Game (1996)
Catch 22 Live (2006)
Ska Is Dead compilation (2007)

Favorite Songs:
10. Leaving
9. Alone In a Crowd
8. It Takes Some Time
7. Hard to Impress
6. Guilty Pleasures
5. Bloomfield Ave. (Which runs through my home town!)
4. Point the Blame
3. What Goes Around Comes Around
2. Arm to Arm
1. Walking Away (Favorite song #85)

Years Active:
1996-Present

Seen live:
2 times (Asbury Park, NJ 2006, 2009. Possibly in Baltimore in August)

Catch 22 is a band that has gone through some major changes of the years. The band that recorded "Keasbey Nights" in 1998 is basically now known as Streetlight Manifesto, who re-recorded it in 2006 and it is much better. "Walking Away" is the only one where I like the Catch 22 version better, although I'm sure there are 9 songs off Catch's Keasbey that I like more than the other songs listed. Pretty much, that is the only song I really recognize as still by Catch 22. Four former members have been in Streetlight, including original singer/guitar player/God Tomas Kalnoky. I have a feeling they'll show up on this list at some time. Current Catch 22 isn't very good in my mind. I liked them the last time I saw them live as they played nothing off of "Keasbey Nights". Really, every album has been no where as good as the previous. It's really sad as "Keasbey Nights" (prior to Streetlights) was considered one of the best ska albums of all time. Oh well, it happens.




No comments:

Post a Comment