Saturday, June 19, 2010

#64: Toots and the Maytals


So I was innocent of what they done to me, they was wrong


After one day off of this the countdown comes back with number 64, reggae legends Toots and the Maytals


Wiki Says:
Toots and the Maytals, originally called simply The Maytals, are a Jamaican musical group and one of the best known ska and reggae vocal groups. According to Sandra Brennan at Allmusic, "The Maytals were key figures in reggae music. Formed in the early 1960s when ska was hot, the Maytals had a reputation for having strong, well-blended voices and a seldom-rivaled passion for their music. Hibbert's soulful style led him to be compared to Otis Redding".


Discovery:
Well, Wikipedia list 19 studio albums, and I don't want to list them all.

Favorite songs:
Pressure Drop
Monkey Man
Take Me Home, Country Road
54-46 Was My Number

Years Active:
1963-1982, 1992-present

Never seen them live

Toots and the Maytals are unfortunately in Bob Marley's shadow. They have been notably covered by The Clash, The Specials, Reel Big Fish, Sublime, and 311. Also Amy Winehouse, but that is a lot less flattering. They are the "newest" addition to this list, as I only recently added songs of theirs to my iTunes.



Up Next: We're about to get into the bands I'm much bigger fans of. I originally wanted to do 65 as the past ones I'm not too too familiar with, but 65 is a weird number to use. So next, a reggae band from Georgia you've never heard of

No comments:

Post a Comment