Monday, June 7, 2010

75 Favorite Artists-#75: Hepcat

So in the same way that Romo has been counting down his 100 favorite artists, I've decided to do the same. As you may have noticed, I'm only doing 75. That is because I didn't want to pile 25 artists where I know and like one song onto the beginning of this list.

Like he has been doing, I'll begin with a quote, a brief intro, what Wikipedia has to say (only in the heading section), discovery, and favorite songs. However, to distinguish myself, I'll also add in some other facts (probably years active and something about me seeing them live if applicable). Then again, like him, I'll have more of my feelings on them, and then videos. I'm going to try to get a live video in addition to a music video if I can. Hope you enjoy

As mentioned above, first up is Hepcat



And shake it baby like I like it


#75 is Hepcat, a late addition to this list but worth it.


Wiki says:
Hepcat is a ska and reggae band formed in southern California in 1989.

Their soulful harmonies and mellow rhythms were unlike those of contemporaries and more akin to musicians from the heyday of 1960s Jamaican ska, also referred to as the first wave.


Discovery:
Out of Nowhere (1993)
Scientific (1996)
Right on Time (1998)
Push 'n Shove (2000)


Favorite Songs:
Earthquake and Fire
Dance Wid' Me
Push 'N Shove
The Spins
I Can't Wait


Years Active: 1989-2000, 2003-Present


Never Seen Live


What is best about Hepcat is their singer, Alex Desert. You may know him as Mr. Williams on Boy Meets World. There is one episode when Corey is having a dream, and Mr. Williams is standing outside of a Jazz club and actually says the words, "Don't mind me, I'm just the Hepcat". Since I can't find any videos with him from Boy Meets World, I'll just post one from Hepcat (he is the singer in the grey suit) and one from the Nick Jr. hit show, Yo Gabba Gabba










No comments:

Post a Comment